Friday, August 12, 2011

Interview with Aubrey Saverino

interview questions

List of books that have impacted you and what age you were when you read them. What was going on in your life when you read them, and why they are important to you.

Aubrey's Response

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
I was in high school when I read that book. I loved the relationship between the two eldest sisters (especially since I was close to my own sister). I also admired the character of Elizabeth Bennet because she set a great example of an intelligent, witty, strong woman who could examine her own flaws and pursue what she wanted in life, despite society's restraints.

he Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
I read this book when I was about 22 years old and found it to be an interesting, philosophical discussion on the meaning of life and the fact that we can never know if we're living the "right" life since we only live once & can't compare it to anything. A lot was changing in my life around that time & so I related to the idea explored in this book that we can never really know if the life we're leading is the best possible option for us...

Any book by Margaret Atwood including:
The Handmaid's Tale
The Blind Assassin
Oryx & Crake

I read quite a bit of Atwood during college & the following years because I loved & related to her female characters-- they were always complex, interesting and dynamic women put in morally ambiguous, challenging situations and the answers were never simple. She always seemed to be questioning the status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment